From: Potkay, Peter M (PLC, IT) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2004 11:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MQIPT

The other company could:
Try and start 1000 connections to your listener at once, crashing him. Now
all your channels to the hub are down.
(You should have a dedicated listener for each outside company.)

Try and send command messages to your SYSTEM.ADMIN.COMMAND.QUEUE, messing
with you infrastructure.
(You should set the MCAUSER on the RCVR, and give that ID the bare minimum
access only to the queues it needs to get to (this includes authority to the
QM as well as the DLQ). Maybe even stop the command server (do you really
want to do that o your internal Hun QM though?)).

Try and send messages to another application's queue.
(See above)

Try and send 100 meg message to a queue. They fill up your disk, crashing
you Hub QM.
(You should set the max message length parameter on your RCVR channel to the
smallest # that makes sense for the app)

Try and send 999,999,999 10 byte messages as fast as they can, filling up
your disk.
(You should insure they can only put messages to their queues, and set their
queues to a small max queue depth. If that fills up, or if they start
putting to a queue other than their own, causing 2035s, the DLQ starts
filling up. You don't want your Hub's DLQ full! So you set the Message Retry
Counts and Intervals on the RCVR channel. Now when a message would go to the
DLQ, it will, but only after (Message Retry Counts X Intervals) seconds.
This throttles it way back. I use 10 and 10000, so in this scenario, my DLQ
would get 1 message every 100 seconds. This effectively puts a cork on the
bad guys attempt, or the looping program. Monitor your DLQ, and you will
have plenty of time to stop the problem, with evidence in the DLQ.

You should use remote queue defs on the hub, that then point to the final
destination queues on one of your spoke QMs. And then only give authority to
put to these remote queue defs. If you don't do this, but instead rely on
Name resolution, you must give this ID access to the XMIT queue that goes to
the spoke QM. If you don't then set authority on the Spoke's RCVR MCA, they
could mess with that QM. If that spoke QM is used by lots of other apps
internally, do you really want to mess with the authorities on that channel?
Way easier to use the remote queue defs on the initial QM that they connect
to. (They will then act like a filter, insuring messages only go to the
spoke QM's queues you want)

Even with all of the above, you need SSL to verify who the other side is.
MQIPT has SSL, and will verify who the other side is. Regular SSL on the
actual channel does the same thing I suppose. But MQIPT also masks your
Hub's server and port#, since the other guy's channels point at the IP /
port that MQIPT is listening on, which then forwards the message to your QM.
I guess this is somewhat valuable. But maybe you want multiple channels, and
only want to set SSL once. Well, MQIPT will give you that tunnel, but
beware, because now ALL your channels can be accessed if they can guess the
name. Now you have to lock them down. Otherwise, it is very easy for them to
connect to SYSTEM.ADMIN.SVRCONN as mqm, or create a SNDR on their side
called SYSTEM.DEF.RCVR, and connect to your default RCVR. Any channels they
can guess the name of, have to be protected.

Seriously reconsider using your Hub as the Qm that talks to the other
company. Can you prove they can't guess the name of one of you real spoke
QMs channel names? You can't lock them all down. Even with all the above
precautions, can you be 100% certain they can't come up with a way to damage
the QM they connect to? I can't. Do you want to explain to your boss that
they crashed the Hub QM, or that they crashed their own dedicated Edge QM,
leaving your Hub up?