T.Rob,

The move away from using IP address in the channel status record to using
the Queue Manger name was for two reasons.

1. Many people have two (or more) Queue Managers on the same machine.
Clearly these should be given a different keys from a channel
synchronisation point of view. The IP address is therefore not suitable for
this.

2.Quite a number of people use DHCP. This means that each time you reboot
your machine you're not guaranteed to get the same IP address and so,
again, the IP address is not suitable as a long term key.

Your last paragraph concerns me though. This change from IP address to
Queue Manager name in the sync record took place, I think, in 5.1.
Definitely a few releases ago. I was not trying to indicate a change that
was coming in the future.

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul G Clarke
WebSphere MQ Development
IBM Hursley

MQSeries List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 28/06/2004 19:31:31:

> Paul,
>
> No, I think you got the point ok but I was labouring under false
> assumptions.  The QMID provides a key that is reasonably guaranteed to be
> unique and I made a leap in assuming IBM would favor it over the QMgr
name
> where uniqueness is a requirement.  The point in your email that struck
me
> was the statement that "CONNAME may be the machine address or more likely
> nowadays the remote Queue Manager name".  It just seemed weird that the
move
> would be away from the IP address/machine name which is more or less
> guaranteed to be unique (at least in a TCP/IP network) to the QMgr name
> which is unique only by convention.
>
> I have some clients who do have duplicate QMgr names (not my choice) for
> their contingency QMgrs.  It shouldn't cause a problem in normal
operations
> but it will mean that their DR testing will need to include tasks to
reset
> channel sequence numbers before and after, once they upgrade to the
latest
> version/CSD.  Since I can tell them this is coming, it won't be perceived
as
> a failure of the upgrade or the DR test.
>
> -- T.Rob

Queue
> Managers with the same name.  I would always strongly recommend to anyone
> using MQ to ensure that their Queue Manager names are unique.
>
> Did I miss your point ?
> Cheers,
> P.
>
> Paul G Clarke
> WebSphere MQ Development
> IBM Hursley
>

> MQSeries List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 28/06/2004 16:46:48:
>
> > Paul,
> >
> > Just curious - I thought the direction was to use the QMID rather than
> the
> > QMgr name.  Is this not the case with channel status info as described
> > below?
> >
> > Thanks -- T.Rob

Queue