It's supposed to work on an image, so any PDF should "work", coming from a
scorewriter or a scan.
For scan, Audiveris handbook
https://audiveris.kenai.com/docs/manual/handbook.html mentions:

- Prefer gray level images, with pixels value in the 0 - 255 range, to
black and white images. Color images are supported as well.
- If you scan paper sheets by yourself, pay attention to the scan
resolution. Best results are obtained with resolution around 300 DPI. Lower
resolutions may hide key details while higher ones turn quickly into a
significant waste of CPU and memory resources.

lasconic