> On 31 December 2011 09:04, Martin Schreiber  wrote:
>> I use now the KDE 3.5 RPM's from
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_12.1/
>> on Suse 12.1 with success. Linux desktop is snappy again!
>
> I have done the same with my Slackware 13.1 install. Uninstalled the
> default KDE 4.x and installed KDE 3.5.x instead. A huge speed increase
> on the desktop! The lastest Linux desktops are in a very bad state at
> the moment - I hope the people in charge see their error and fix it
> promptly (though I have my doubts).

Same here. I found linux to be slower than Windows XP and Windows 2000
sadly, I think part of it is the X11 being slower than win32 gui calls,
but I am not sure since I have never profiled to see what is slowing it
down. Even mozilla firefox seems to load web pages slower and less snappy
than MS Windows.  BSD the same thing - even on a non kde bsd desktop I
find it less snappy than win32. So the only common thing between bsd and
linux, is X11 window system - so x11 may be slowing things down vs win32.
But now I am going a bit off topic for mse forums.  (And the fonts on
linux always seem odd looking to me, I prefer win32 fonts that are more
crisp. Problem with Windows is all the spyware and virus but then again if
linux got more popular there would be some virus otu there for it too.)

> I'm eyeing out my wife's iMac more and more. Yes I hate the overpriced
> Apple products, but underneath the MacOSX is still unix, my wife's
> iMac has never crashed, the UI is very fast and responsive, and things
> just work!

Same here, except I am eying my sisters mac. I like that it is bsd based.
I don't like that macos has moved to Objective C it seems and ditched
pascal.