On 3 January 2012 22:50,  <nore...@z505.com> wrote:
> down. Even mozilla firefox seems to load web pages slower and less snappy
> than MS Windows.

That the snappy-ness under MS Windows could be because most recent web
browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE9) are hardware accelerated. No such
hardware acceleration exists under Linux. Well, the setting is there
in Firefox, but it has no affect (even with AMD's graphics drivers)

> But now I am going a bit off topic for mse forums.  (And the fonts on
> linux always seem odd looking to me, I prefer win32 fonts that are more
> crisp.

My fonts under Ubuntu (since the 7.x days) are crisp and clear. The
secret is the correct settings. I cover those settings in fpGUI's FAQ
text file.

  https://github.com/graemeg/fpGUI/blob/master/docs/faq.txt

Gnome's GUI font settings do not correctly setup xft. I always have to
add the ~/.fonts.conf file manually before my fonts look perfect and
super crips.

> Problem with Windows is all the spyware and virus

+1
And the mandatory re-install after 6 months because it for some
unknown reason starts running slower and slower.

> I don't like that macos has moved to Objective C it seems and ditched
> pascal.

At least we have Free Pascal and Cocoa and Carbon bindings. So that
solves that. :-) I had a look and Objective C too, and didn't like it
either. I'm now retraining myself in Java to cover all desktop
platforms, and even mobile platforms like Android.

MSEide apparently works with a C compiler too (not just FPC). So maybe
a Java Compiler could be called too. ;-)

--
Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net