On Tuesday 03 January 2012 21.50:19 nore...@z505.com wrote:

> Same here. I found linux to be slower than Windows XP and Windows 2000
> sadly, I think part of it is the X11 being slower than win32 gui calls,
> but I am not sure since I have never profiled to see what is slowing it
> down. Even mozilla firefox seems to load web pages slower and less snappy
> than MS Windows.  BSD the same thing - even on a non kde bsd desktop I
> find it less snappy than win32. So the only common thing between bsd and
> linux, is X11 window system - so x11 may be slowing things down vs win32.

I don't think so. MSEgui X11 applications are as fast as gdi32 applications if
they are not slowed down by a "modern" compositing window manager. From my
point of view as GUI toolkit developer the X11 API is well designed, gdi32 is
a set of premature quick shot pieces. There can be a handicap of Linux
because the graphic hardware producers don't care much about Linux.