Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 4 January 2012 10:55, Martin Schreiber <mse00...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think so. MSEgui X11 applications are as fast as gdi32
>> applications if
>> they are not slowed down by a "modern" compositing window manager. From
>> my
>> point of view as GUI toolkit developer the X11 API is well designed,
>
> As a GUI toolkit developer myself (smile), I agree with the X11 API
> being well designed (contrary to many other developers saying it is
> difficult to use). But the lack of "snappy" feeling could be due to
> the latency X11 has, due to the client/server design. The other
> downside under Linux is the lack of fast graphics drivers. Linux has
> by far the slowest graphics performance compared to MacOS and Windows
> - even when you use the proprietary drivers under Linux.

The lack of snappy feeling in linux could also be due to Microsoft windows
spending lots of research and development on this (double buffering or
some internal microsoft speedy optimizations, I don 't know).

> A simple test for what I consider a "snappy" test. Resize a window
> under Linux. You very often see multiple rectangles being drawn as the
> graphics system tries to keep up. Also, the mouse often moves faster
> than the corner edge of the window being resized. Under MacOS (wife's
> iMac) and Windows (same laptop which has Linux installed too) the
> mouse never leaves the corner edge of the window, and you don't see
> multiple window rectangles being drawn as you resize.  Not a very
> "professional" test, but enough to clearly show the difference in
> performance.

Since MAC is BSD based now, does Mac not use X11? How does it get it's
snappyness? Or does it have that slower feel to it?