Hallo Martin,

Du schriebst am Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:57:49 +0200:

> > Oh yes, and I installed the latest gdb I got right after the first few
> > "hangers", now it is version 7.4.1.
> >
> MSEide with gdb 7.4.50 works fine for me on OpenSUSE 12.1.

Thaz's good to know, although it doesn't help here. It just might obviate
the need to get the 7.3 version compiled, as this throws an error on me...
(And, above that, there was mention that all the versions since early 2.xx
up to and including 7.3 had an omission og some kind on their web site.
This was only resolved with the current version, they state.)

But I still experience these effects, so they have to be real, and they
might be dependent on the hardware setup. T've got a 4 core processor now,
as I told already, and AMD with integrated graphics at that, and normally,
all seems to run fine. But it might be that gdb has a problem with that,
although commonly they say that Linux is quite capable on multiprocessor
machines - yet this might not fully apply to gdb...
IIRC there should be a means to restrict programs to specific processors;
if I can find out how, I might just as well try whether this can relieve
the problem. Do you think this could contribute to the problem?