Hallo Graeme,

Du schriebst am Wed, 18 Sep 2013 23:32:20 +0100:

> > No way to disable EXA.. change modeset makes use of VESA driver and max
> > resolution is 1024x768.. of course MSE runs fine with VESA
>
> Not sure if I understood you statement correctly. I run the X11 VESA
> driver here, under FreeBSD 9.1 and my resolution is 2560x1440
                     ^^^^^^^
This might be the reason, there _are_ differences between the systems.
If Julio runs Linux, which he probabely does, it is quite possible that the
VESA driver doesn't support all the built-in firmware functionality, as it
is mainly provided as a fallback if nothing else is available.
It may be that FreeBSD relies much more on the higher level support of
graphics cards (such as the VESA functions), while Linux tries to get
closer to the "real" hardware, in hope to achieve some more performance.
Trade off here is that Linux takes longer and is somewhat more restricted
in what it supports.