Hello fredvs,

you wrote on Wed, 2 Sep 2020 16:22:45 -0700 (MST):

> Hello Seighard

(Just a remark: why don't you let your mailer insert the name here? This
would forego the possibility for spelling errors, as with my name above.)

> > Ok, I did download this also, but the "..2" version still required this
> > non-existing component
>
> This was a attachment, I dont have access to it and cannot delete it,
> please forget it.

Well, it wasn't attached to your message as I received it, but I don't
remember now how it got at it, I think it was via Github, but maybe not.
But anyway, if it's no longer valid, then noone should bother.

The new version of your final issue does very nicely fix all the points
mentioned, altough I think a couple enhancements could still be implemented.

There's the case with the "ripped off" extensions - this might even be a
candidate for parametrization (to which I have a BIG issue at the end...),
just as with the "places" display, which you made switchable already.

But still, the "places" display stubbornly shows the non-existent
directories, even if they're no longer selectable. And, it seems, the set
of those is not settable anywhere?

> > Maybe a candidate for parametrization?
>
> OK, added a check-box to show-hide the lateral panel.

Well, you made it _switchable_ in the window, but that's not the same as
_parametrizable_ - the latter term, at least for me, means that it be
settable programmatically, at instantiation of the object at least.

As it is now, the dialog window always and unmodifiably shows with
- "places" pane on (I'd prefer it off)
- "compact" list format off (that's ok for m e)
- "hidden" files not shown (I'd prefer to see them)
and a couple other properties, like window size, position or such things.
In short, it's NOT parametrizable, and that's due to the fact that the form
window is created deep inside the handling routines of the object.
Remeber my stand alone file requester program?
I had to solve some rather involved issues to make it parametrizable /
configurable and to be able to add customized functions.
My solution was mainly to create a completely new alternative instantiation
function that accepts an externally provided form object, which can be
accessed for parameter setting later on (and one is only created internally
if no such object is passed to it). This seemed to me the least dispuptive
way to provide the wanted features, and could probabely be rather easily
introduced to any other dialog with a similar structure (one that I had to
cope with recently is the color dialog, for example).
BTW, that was even an enhancement compared to Lazarus, which also
encapsulates its dialogs in a similarly impenetrable fortress-like manner.

> > You forgot a "Close" button on the demo winsow!
>
> Ok, done in last commit in GhitHub.

Special thanks for this one, as this gets increasingly overlooked by many
current programs, which seem to only rely on the respective GUI function -
which may be inaccessible, disabled or not even exist, like Android
demonstrates...

Finally, I have a comprehension question: what is the purpose of the
different "kinds" of file dialogs, "fdk_xxx"? The _appearance_ of the
dialog seems not to be affected by it, and the selection actions also seem
identical. The only effect I found was that for "fdk_dir" the name of the
file selected is cut off, but it is nonetheless possible to select any
arbitrary file that is NOT a directory. Even less effect I find for the
other values, "*open", "*save", "*new", and "*none" - where at least for
"*new" I would have expected to be at least warned if an existing file was
selected. You can even enter an arbitrary, non existing, name for "*open".
Not really useful.
And, BTW, the "Base Directory" doesn't seem to have an effect, too.