On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Andy Warner <an...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 5:36 PM, David W. Schultz <
> david.schu...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I had this problem and it was because the build scripts assumed that
>> "./" appears nowhere in your search path. I posted a note here on 18 Feb.
>>

>> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4D5EFBBD.6040505%40earthlink.net&forum_name=mspgcc-users
>

> Thanks for the reply, I don't think that's my problem though, [...]

The problem was that msp430-gcc doesn't try and run "msp430-as", it tries
to find "as", and looks in some specific places. Strace shows that it is
looking in:

/usr/local/lib/gcc/msp430/4.5.3/../../../../msp430/bin/

or /usr/local/msp430/bin

My 4.6.2 avr toolchain on the same machine has this directory populated
with copies (not links?!?) of all the binutils binaries plus c++, g++ & gcc
- but without the avr- prefix.

I manually populated the corresponding directory in the msp430 toolchain:

cd /usr/local
sudo mkdir msp430/bin
for i in ar as c++ g++ gcc ld ld.bfd nm objcopy objdump ranlib strip
do
sudo cp bin/msp430-$i msp430/bin/$i
done

And it all seems to work now, or until my next upgrade.

I'm thinking this looks more like a problem with the binutils install not
creating & populating /usr/local/msp430/bin, and gcc not handling that
situation well. My money would be on a corner case in one or both of the
configure scripts that my old system (with pre-installed, old versions of
the tools) triggers.

I guess I should consider putting "DEAR PEOPLE FROM THE FUTURE:" at the top
of this message (http://xkcd.com/979/)
--
Andy