At 09:56 AM 3/11/99 -0300, you wrote:

[Solid Snake]
>> The 256K version is without sound however, so it is not equal to the 512K
>> version.
>
>Why this conversion cut the sound? Did it cut the PSG sound?

All sound.
Sound data for MG2 is quite large (about 80K). Although not all songs are
necessary at the same time, the least that is necessary is the replayer,
the current song and most sound effects. Not cutting sound in the 256K
version must have been close to impossible.

>> And why don't use DISKROM?
>
>Because there are 2 problems: the high memory area is destroyed by the
>game variables, and I couldn't use the page 0 to save them (making a
>memory swap) because the latest Konami games also uses the page 0 to store
>variables. The other problem is simultaneously high speed disk access and
>copy protection.

As I wrote in another reply, most of the high memory area is only used by
the diskROM if you're accessing files. When you do sector access, even
through the diskROM, much less high memory is reserved.

By the way, there are copy protections that can be checked by using only
the diskROM. For example, the protection used by Sunrise, which is actually
an adapted version of MicroCabin's protection.

Bye,
                Maarten