> Pierre Gielen wrote:
> >Wouldn't it be nice to have both? I'd like a new MSX that has new
> >capabilities but is also compatible AND fast when running 'old' software.
It
> >sounds like I'll have to buy both a Z180 and a Z380 board...
>
> The problem is that you CAN'T make a 100% compatible system with either of
> them. A lot of old programs (games, demo's, maybe even others) rely on the
> specific timing of the Z80.
> Even when running Z180 or Z380 at 3.58MHz, they will still be too fast and
> cause problems with timing-sensitive programs.
>
> It's exactly why turboR still has a Z80 inside!

But you can't have a Z80 inside forever...

I think that if you slow it down enough to a speed about as fast as a 3.5MHz
Z80 most programs will work (screensplits in i.e. Sunrise Magazine and FD
will look good). And if not, too bad. A lot of MSX 1 software doesn't work
on MSX 2, some MSX 2 software doesn't work on MSX 2+ and the same goes for
the turboR.

 email me: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or ICQ: 10196372
      visit my homepage at http://grauw.blehq.org/