Daniel Jorge Caetano wrote:
>   "new" Relative calls are about the 32 bit addresses. It doesn't make sense
>on a 8 bit processor (such as Z180).

ofcourse they make sense on an 8 bit processor! They allow fully
relocatable programs. They are NOT about 32 bit addresses, but can be used
in 8, 16 or 24 bit.

>   "new" EX are relative to new registers. It doens't make sense on a
> processor
>that doesn't have such registers.

The new EX instructions are for the EXACT SAME registers as Z80 and Z180 have.
Except for the shadowed IX/IY, there are NO new registers in Z380 that can
be exchanged directly with EX instructions.

>   Mult and Div is something new. So, the good features of Z380 are the
>Mult, Div, New registers and a new address space. The "other" new
>functions are depending on those enhancements... (and would be a
>shame if they don't exist!)

If you take away all new registers and the new address space of the Z380,
you would still benefit greatly from the enhanced instructions. They are
NOT depending on those features!

Have you at all read the Z380 manual?!
I believe you once said you're not a real assembly programmer. That would
explain why you don't see the great improvement the Z380 instruction set
offers, even without the new registers and address space.

>   I know Z380. (-; You just had not understood what I was trying to
>say. (-; Of course I know Z380 is very good (and this is why I fought
>to use it in the past), because it's easier to program due to
>lots of registers and a big address space. More instructions are
>just consequence. (-;

Like I said before, the new instructions are NOT a consequence of the new
registers and address space! Read the manual again.

>   I had read, but I don't know where you found so many "new actions" Z380,
>that are not realted to the new address space and/or new registers. I'M NOT
>SAYING THAT IT DOESN'T HAVE NEW instructions, and they are not usefull. They
>are! With the new registers and new address space, they are amazing! But
>not on Z180. The only I really miss are mult and div, FOR MSX, of course.
>On Educar the things will be a lot different... (-;

The new instructions of the Z380 have been repeated over and over in the
past week, and I'm not gonna do it again. :/
If you really don't understand the new instructions are NOT related to the
new address space and registers, I can't make it any clearer to you. :(

>   But it's a way not MSX... (-; And you will not convince me. Just
>because a new processor has a lot of enhancements doesn't make it
>a better solution for upgrade MSX. I mentioned x86 as a powerful
>processor, better than Z380.

x86 isn't powerful at all. Z380 is more powerful than 386 at same clockspeed!
The only reason 486 and Pentium-series are more powerful than 386 is
because they are superscalar, so that doesn't count. Besides using a recent
x86-processor would mean a HUGE cost in board-design 'n stuff...

>You said "oh, but there is only 7
>registers...!"... Well... then let's use PowerPC, on a new board.
>PowerPC is a looooooooooong way better than Z380. And has lots of
>registers also.

You want to program PowerPC assembly? neither do I!
Heh, why not use MIPS 4000 or something... Those processors aren't even
designed for assembly programming.

You yourself said how important it is to use a processor architecture
people are already familiar with. MSX people are familiar with Z80, so use
a Z80-family processor.

                 Patriek