>If you think I picked the engine from PA3 and simply added some changes to
>enable sequels, you really insult me. I've worked half a year on the engine
>to change it into the RoA engine. I practically re-programmed the entire
>engine. Especially the battle system. Not only the animation routines, but
>the fact that each enemy has unique attack abilities with its own text
>files and responses, not to mention the the shops, the animations in the
>back and foreground, the snapshots of the characters and, most important,
>the non-linear plot!

Yes, yes, and I know that, you told me when we were busy with the FD-
project... I'm sorry if my words insulted you - although I haven't played
RoA, I heard from many sides that it's a great game... What I meant by
saying you used the same engine, was mainly the main engine, which is
actually the part responsible for the overall looks of the game. You added
quite some things to it, which gave it a lot more dimensions than for
example PA3, but the game just looks the same!

>Bsides, like saud before in this discussion, you can make 100 RPGs with the
>same engine and each of them can be original and fun.

I doubt that, to be honest. Do you know the games 'Tales of Destiny' and
'Tales of Phantasia' (SNES/PSX)? Those games' engines are nearly similar to
each other, and that's why, after having finished the first game, you really
don't want to fight the enemies of the other game anymore. And those battle
sequences are actually a lot more advanced than those of the average MSX
RPG, which mainly exists of a turn-based battle controlled by a battle menu.
Ofcourse, the storyline and maps of the newly developed RPG are new and
therefore as much as fun/original as their predecessors, but the other
elements just get boring. At least, that was a consideration. But I might be
the only one sharing it :).

In the case of PA3 and Lost World (since I didn't play RoA, I can't say
anything about that), there were similarities like exploring huge mazes and
fighting enemies in almost exactly the same way. Ofcourse, it's much more
beautiful to watch when an enemy is animated, but if the course of action
remains to be the same... I personally had much fun playing PA3, but I never
finished The Lost World - I was tired of exploring all those mazes and
walking from point X which is in the northeast of the overall map to point Y
which is at exactly the opposite side. Judging from the overall commentaries
in this mailinglist, I understand that this is not the case when you play
RoA (actually I'm still considering buying a copy - everything I read was
really interesting), but I didn't buy a copy at the fair in the first place
because I was afraid of the same kind of problem.

Rieks.