Laurens Holst wrote:

>> Invisible enemies in a RPG game, are IMHO, crap. I can't play a RPG game
>> with invisble enemies for more than 5 minutes without getting mad and
just
>> turn off the computer. So, I guess you should stay with visible enemies.
>
>You didn't like Dragon Slayer IV???

This may sound incredible, but I still have to play Dragon Slayer VI (Not
IV, like you said, IV is a kind of plataform game (-:  )

>> SD Snatcher has crap scrolling, as most MSX games I can remember with
>> multi-directional scrolling. I can now only remember of  2  games who did
>> nice "multi-directional" scroll in MSX...one is Rally-X (Although I am no
>> programmer, I know the scroll here is nice because there's only 2 colors
>in
>> the background, and only one color really scrolls), and Firehawk:Thexder
2
>> (An action game, BTW). So Grauwl, I hope your scrolling routine is really
>> very good
>
>Well, you see, as far as I can see it now there is the following choice:
>- smooth scrolling, invisible enemies
>- 8pix scroll, visible enemies (smooth on v9958 or v9990 btw).

So, it's a matter of discover how many people has a V9958 or better... (BTW,
I have one (-:  )

>But ofcourse it's in that case a good idea to let the RPG designer make the
>choice. And I'll see how many characters I can put on the screen at the
same
>time in my smooth engine... Maybe then 'the choice' even isn't nessecary.

Yeah, that's something some people need to learn. Always give the final user
the choice! :-)

>> Character's images in the Status menu is good, as it wouldn't acess the
>disk
>> to show it. Let images appear within a conversation is only worth if
>there's
>> no disk acess at all (Like someone else said, it stops the flow of the
>> game). But, as I always say, give the player (or the developer, in the
>> case), the option to choose!
>
>Ofcourse that's possible. But loading a small compressed image doesn't
>nessecarily have to take up too much space, and therefor doesn't load too
>long (XAK etc. is a bad example of in-game graphics by the way). And from
>harddisk you won't notice the loading at all, you can even leave the music
>turned on.

I don't have a harddisk, and I know many people who also don't have one

>> A separate Battle-Mode is like in Final Fantasy,  and a Battle in playing
>> field is like in Chronno Trigger? Then for me, itd doesn't make too much
>> difference, in the gameplay side, although I agree you can do a lot more
>> stuff in separate mode, and some effects really look better on a black
>> background
>
>That's what I meant, yes.
>

>> I was curious...what I will have to do to add music to my game? I mean,
>what
>> program I will have to use?
>
>Well, I fear my smooth engine isn't fast enough to MBWAVE (shit...). I
>myself prefer SCC Blaffer in combination with RedBook CD-Audio (in other
>words: a CD version).

CD Version? And if I don't want to make my game in CD? I was "out" of the
"scene" for some time, and got back a few months ago, I lost many things
released..what nice programs to make music I can use in my MSX?

>> And this engine will be public domain? If it will be, then the games made
>> with it are also going to be PD?
>
>Yes. No.

Hmm, this obviously is a high degree of profissionality of yours. If the
engine is free, but the games released aren't, people will earn money with
your piece of work (and their works too, of course)
And if I decide to release my game in PD?

>> I am very excited about this project (Although I am very quiet about it,
>but
>> that's just because I know nothing about programming).  Keep up the good
>> work!
>
>Top!

Shatterhand