On Sunday 21 January 2001 23:27, you wrote:

> You can use xsc/xsd compression algorithm. Sources can be found on "The MSX
> Plaza" in the section "XSA format".

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Is XSA compression only (like gzip and bzip2)
or does it handle multiple files as well (like ZIP and LZH)?

However, I think that the final standard will be a lot like the proposal by
Ricardo, meaning it will use an archive and a text-based info file. If that
approach is used, it's easier to use an archive format that is already
wide-spread. XSA would be a good choice if the format can only be edited
using special tools.

> It is a variant of the LZ77 algorithm, which is in my knowledge still
> patent free.

If it's patent free today, it will be patent free forever. Something that is
already used by others ("prior art") cannot be patented.

> LZW (which was suggested in another message) can not be used. It is
> patented by Unisys.

True, I dismissed that algorithm for that same reason.

Bye,
                Maarten