> > We MSX users were partly responsible for the failure of the MSX system.
> > A lot of companes stopped developing software for MSX because of the low
> > sales (because of excessive copying).
> I honestly have my doubts about that.  Of course, the excessive copying
was
> *a* reason, but I don't think it was *the* reason. *The* reason was that
> over the years more commercially interesting platforms, like PC and all
the
> game consoles, appeared and MSX was getting out-dated and obsolete.
> The lack of a proper successor to the MSX2 (*) and main hardware
developers
> bailing out was IMHO the main reason MSX died.

I quoted a lot, so you can read I wrote we were -=[PARTLY]=- responsible.
May I remind you to the fact that a lot of companies, including Konami
continued
developing software for the MSX long after its 'death'
Another thing, that might not be well-known is that MicroCabin offered to
release
translated versions of their games (English, off course), but it turned out
that the MSX
users in the Netherlands were not interested. An English version would be
nice, but
they did not want to pay for it. They already had copied the original
version!

> Besides, haven't you noticed the fact that there's a CD toaster in almost
> every PC nowadays? Copying games and other software is as easy as
> alt.crackz.com.
> I don't see that stopping companies from writing software for the PC...

You might have noticed that a lot of music-companies aren't doing very well
at all at
the moment. Even large companies like the Free Record Shop are suffering
from the
fact that a lot of people are copying cd's nowadays.
As for the software, I don't know the hard facts. But one reason the prices
are so
rediculously high is because otherwise there would be no profits at all.

> (*) No, I don't see MSX-2+ as a proper successor. The only improvement
> being some more screen resolutions, which were a lot harder to program
for,
> and (*hurray*) horizontal scrolling.  The turbo-R was a step in the right
> direction, though...  The most interesting development towards an MSX-3
> I've seen sofar is the MSX380 project from Mr. Padial - but it's
unfortunately
> about 10 years too late...

Yup, Maybe the 2 mistakes Nishi was talking about.

2+        - Almost no improvements
turboR  - Too late, and no V9990

> > I can only say that I see people like Martos as
> > a huge threat to the entire revival project.
> I don't. The revival project is largely open source. How would you 'crack'
> and illegaly copy open source. Plus, you assuming that Martos is still
> interested in crackin & copying software...

Again.. read what I said: people LIKE Martos.
What if someone like Martos cracks old roms to be used on the MSX-Player
(as far as I understood, the old ROM-games on the internet will be useless,
because you need the encrypted version from MSX-Server)

> Just my $200 (yes, I value my own opinion X-))

Greetz,

Sander

---
Webmaster benjamin B.                 -  http://www.benjaminb.demon.nl/
Listen to benjamin B.                      -
http://stage.vitaminic.nl/benjamin_b./
Webmaster MSX resource center  -  http://www.msx.org/
Join the msx.org RC5 team            -  http://msx.xs4all.nl/