On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 03:05:24PM +0100, Laurens Holst wrote:
> Wynke Stulemeijer wrote:
> >Heya!
> >
> >I have noticed that it is really very quiet here recently. Now I do
> >not intend to get rid of the list because it's not in anybody's way
> >(and all the spam gets filtered out and never reaches anyone but me
> >and Maarten), but still, I was wondering if people would actually miss
> >it if it were to disappear...
>
> Yes, definitely.
>

> >So, what do you guys think? Will the list still be used in the future?
> >And where do people go these days for their MSX news? Not comp.sys.msx
> >on Usenet, I think, it seems nearly as dead as the list... Which
> >websites do people frequent instead?
>
> I personally do not read comp.sys.msx, and do not intend to. Everytime I
> do, I see few messages I personally find interesting. msx.org *is* a
> good resource for MSX-related news, however they do not hesitate to
> censor and ban people and thus is not a place open for all.

Hm, I see many people mentioning the list as a fallback for msx.org...

The mailinglist is not censored, as long as people don't post html and
attachments and such and only post from the address they registered
with.

> The list may not see as many messages as it has in the past, but it is
> still a good place to make public announcements, which will then be
> received by many people. If I want to make such an announcement, I write
> to msx@stack.nl first, and only after that look at msx.org and
> comp.sys.msx. Also, there is still the occasional discussion.

Perhaps we should campaign a bit for people to send more announcements
to the list again? ;)

> With regard to reading the list, I think you have insight in the number
> of subscribers and the amount of bounced mails... I'd say pretty much
> every mail which arrives at its destination is read (actually, keeping
> up with the mailinglist is a lot easier now than it used to be in the
> past :)).

Certainly. I recently moved all old mails to an archive folder (yeah,
I keep them all) and then found that no new ones arrived.

I think I get at least 100 spams for every mail posted. But I can
discard them all at once, so that's ok.

> So, I hope to have banned these evil thoughts from your mind ;p.

I didn't intend to get rid of it, I was just wondering how much
attention I should keep paying to it. It does seem to run well without
looking at it, only the number of posts that do not get through is
quite huge so i should probably throw them out weekly or so.

It seems like it's much the other way around than when I took over;
back then there were hundreds of real mails for every spam...

Wynke.