Okay this is hard to punch in on my phone.The *only* operational difference
between additive and subtractive dither is that the latter has the *possibilty*
of subtracting the added dither leaving only the uncorrelated (to the 2nd
moment) quantization noise.  To regain that 4.77 dB lost when adding TPDF
dither to the signal immediately before quantizing to a shorter word length.The
net kernal of this Gerzon insight is that you can use the LSB bit of the
previous 128 samples, put those 128 noisy bits into a big messy logic mess to
scramble them bits up even more.  From those scrambled bits, two uniform p.d f.
pseudo-random words are derived that are added to become the TPDF dither word
that is added to the longer wordlength signal immediately before quantization.
Adding that adds 4.77 dB to the noise floor.At the receiver end, that
triangular p.d.f. dither word can be rederived from the same 128 LSBs of the
quantized data sent over the stream and subtracted from quantized signal wh
 ich should recover that 4.77 dB of lost noise floor.Even if there is
noise-shaping in the quantization, this dither can be identically filtered and
subtracted at the receiving end and i would expect some theoretical gain, if
not the 4.77 dB.Otherwise, don't subtract.  You're no worse off with the
additive dither than you would be otherwise.  The dither generated this way is
still useful dither.Powered by Cricket Wireless------ Original
message------From: Sampo SyreeniDate: Sat, Nov 20, 2021 6:59 PMTo:
MUSIC-DSP@LISTS.COLUMBIA.EDU;Cc: Subject:Re: about subtractive dither, for
audio and other use (also scientific)On 2021-11-20, Zhiguang Zhang wrote:

> from what i've been taught, the function of dither is to decorrelate
> noise from the signal.

This is what I'm aiming at. But there are two different types of dither:
subtractive and additive. Additive dither is what we now use, because it
works well enough for audio work: when you add one bit's worth of RPDF
dither before your ADC, you decorrelate the mean of the signal from the
error signal. When you add another independent RPDF's worth, leading to
a TPDF signal, you decorrelate/decouple the second statistical momentum,
or in the audio circles, power/RMS amplitude. Thus, noise modulation no
longer happens with TPDF.

If you want to proceed with the exercise, you can: adding a third
independent RPDF to the mix, will decouple to the third order, so that
skewness is now decoupled. If you add the fourth, kurtosis decouples.
And so on. Eventually you will arrive at a Gaussian distribution, which
decouples all of the statistical momenta.

The trouble with additive dither though, is that in order to get to the
asymptotic statistical extrememum, you really have to add more and more
noise of invariant peak-to-peak amplitude of 1 least-significant bit. So
the noise piles up. You cannot just reason with it being of certain
shape in the statistical distribution sense, but it has to be 1-bit
RPDF, one over another, momenta per momenta, in order to do its job.

At the same time, if you can do subtractive dither, it decouples all of
the momenta at the same time. Plus, you can just subtract it out, as per
the name of the algorithm. If you send out a subtractively dithered
signal, then receive it, then recode it, and then redecode it, pretty
much no extra noise has been gained in the process. A digital channel
which has been subtractively dithered like this, over and over,
basically works as if it was an analogue, lossless wire: with regard to
the noise floor set by the bitwidth, it's almost fully transparent, so
that a network of such connections from place to place, functions more
or less as an idealized analogue circuit, with a well defined noise
floor.

As you can imagine, this sort of thing would make many difficult things
easy, and many impossible things only hard. ;)

> so it seems what you're suggesting is using signal statistics to
> generate an optimum dither for signal enhancement?

No enhancement. Just a self-synchronizing trigger for subtractive
dither. So that I could come up with high grade and easy to implement
subtractive dither, for general PCM circuits.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3751464, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2