On 2021-11-22, Andy Farnell wrote:

Otherwise we end up with universalisable solutions looking for problems, while in reality each application tends to have its own set of constraints that are often mutually exclusive or in serious tension with others.

My application area is at layer 2 of the ISO networking model. A universal coding for digitized analogue signal. Maybe with layer 1 help for encoding, and in end devices certainly some optimizations which span the levels.

That is why I try to make my subtractive solution as simple as possible to implement in hardware. I'd like it to be implementable in every signal port of any width and timebase, everywhere. Without the gating becoming a cost constraint.

You hinted at autonomous remote probes. Here, every source-side cycle is worth ten thousand back here on Earth, and given the propagation time error correction is greatly weighted for.

So, a circuit which can be run asynchronously, and as it has few gates, can be easily radiation hardened.

By contrast, modern streaming audio is a different universe, even across continents codec optimisation can be done with application layer protocols by exchanging just a few packets.

I'm aiming at the smallest common denominator. There, it's not so different.

I don't really know much about either case, but clearly any new dither scheme that offers a signal quality advantage needs to find its place within that application ecosystem.

What I'm after is a very simple means of doing subtractive dither. Something which could be placed at every incoming and outgoing A/D/C and computational algorithm, at negligible cost. So that it might become a standard, yielding some 6dB's worth of extra range *everywhere*.

It's possible.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3751464, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2