On 08.02.11 10:08, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Ross Bencina wrote:
>
>> Morgan wrote:
>>
>>> SuperCollider -- GPL licence, would require that I open-source my app
>>
>> Are you sure this is the case? even if you run scserver in a separate
>> process (assuming you can do that on iOS) and call it from your own code via
>> OSC without using sclang? I don't know either.. but it might be worth
>> checking further.
>
> Yes, it is 100% totally OK to have two peices of software, one GPL
> and the other non-GPL, running in separate processes and communicating
> via a pipe, a socket or stdin/stdout.

that covers the "i don't want to open-source my app" part but it doesn't help
with the "apple doesn't want GPL apps in their store" part, because you would
still have to distribute an scsynth binary with your application - under the
terms of the GPL.

the known precedents make it a risky undertaking trying to distribute _any_
GPL'd application through the app store, because apple might decide to take it
out in any moment; not a sound foundation to build any business model on ...

<sk>