I'm a little late to the party but....

1. Akismet is the best auto spam detect and delete service out there for Wordpress and they have a plugin for phpBB, although since I haven't checked out phpBB in a stone age, I don't know how well that plugin works.

2. Mollom is another auto detect and delete spam service but the free version only allows for 100 analysis of forms per day. The primary CMS was Drupal, although I believe they have plugins/PHP code/modules for other CMS.

3. reCaptcha has been hacked but server based CAPTCHA plugins which use the PHP GD libs can get a good 80% of it. Cons are increased CPU and memory use on your server. Pretty much with all CAPTCHAs some script bots have managed to get past the check. reCaptcha offloads the CPU/memory to Google servers, but you must whitelist them if behind a firewall. I saw a few CAPTCHA plugins for phpBB, but again, I didn't check any of them out.

4. Firewall. http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html Most shared/VPS packages have it already instantiated. One can config to automatically ban IP addresses (IP deny) or add a manual list, additionally ban based on GET requests and so on. This is a top level ban of spammers, they will not be able to access the site, period. Add IP addresses permanently ban list, if not spoofed, from spam uploads logs (variety of places here you can find the IP address of the offender). Googlebot is spoofed heavily so one needs to be careful here.

5. Disable anonymous uploads in server ftp. FTP/uploads should be only allowed through registered users, who went through a series of security checks, i.e. Captcha, firewall, even manual approval, Akismet, Mollom. phpBB only should manage uploads and directory permissions/ownership/groups should be set so only phpBB through registered users can upload, not anonymous users through phpBB or general users through the main ftp server. If using WHM/Cpanel, this would be "pure-ftp" config.

6. Add hidden forms in registration and the upload forms. These are additional forms and fields not visable, but in the code and one should also change the form IDs periodically too. If those hidden forms and fields are filled out, it's a spam bot and should be discarded.

8. Add delay in page response. Bots only stay on a page a certain amount of time. Adding delay on a form often exceeds the spam script time out.

9.  Update all of your code and look for security holes.

10. Config phpBB where uploads are only allowed to registered users, if you have levels of permissions, consider creating an trusted registered user profile and giving ftp upload permission to that group, manually approved. You should not allow anonymous users or recent registered users to upload as well as limit their posts to say 5 in a day. Put a 48 hr timeout on new accounts for certain permissions. Even consider additional "respond to this email or answer this question" manual approval of new accounts.

There is much more one can do but these are a few things. Maintaining a complex site that musicdsp.org appears to be is a real job, migrating to Drupal plus config, design, sys. admin, and all the rest of it, is probably a paid job (done right). mySQL migration from one CMS to another, well, there's what's advertized in some of these scripts and their migration steps versus what really happens. In other words, a little PHPmyAdmin plus knowing how to write mySQL queries goes a long way. ;)

Hope this helps.