Emanuel Landeholm wrote:
Continuing off topic...

On "correction"; it's an interesting philosophical concept. I listen to
lots of audio books, and the program material comes with all kinds of
problems....

Of course that's an ancient problem. Tube tape recorders with crystal microphones already had those types of problems, and of course it depends on how and where you're listening, and how well certain processing can work on the amps and speakers you happen to be using. Like it is certainly possible to limit, pretty easy to give a little straight amplification (if the player you use allows it), and, well equalizers and "tone controls" have been around for a long time ! So why not some digital versions of those, that shouldn't be a problem.

Choosing the right filter kinds, controlling phase issues and loudness (short an long term, for when the materials are played on a potent stereo system) control, and preserving the intended feel of the recording are also important, and is where A grade recordings/records can teach us a lot. I am also a fan of being as neutral as possible, as in the more High Fidelity, the nicer, and I go pretty far with that, also spec-wise. Natural amplification with as little as possible distortion, sampling errors, and built-in limitations (like "tuned" 2-way systems, which often is produced form without people noticing) has the advantage to be able to listen to a track or mix "as it is".

If neutrality also persists over a large dynamic range (which is the case with my monitoring), it is possible the check out the Loudness Curve sensitivities in well made tracks/mixes: at low volume it should sound normal, and at loud volume the ratios of mid to high and low don't suddenly sound like, euhm, "new" recordings..

Of course you can say "my monitors are norm" without every checking them out with accurate test signals or measurement- and studio- microphones, well fine, but chances are you're not going to get a lot of audio tasks done if you're not honest with your monitoring. It could be you're going to produce pathetic pieces of test music which sound divine to you, but not to others.

And most of all, as soon as you alter mixes, you're responsible for your listeners or even clients, down the line: are the demands for hearing damage warnings still properly active in the tracks you process, is the maker of the artwork on you tracks still satisfied when you have processed their materials, and they are put on CD or the radio?

I have meant to repair materials, back to the state of the original masters, with the proper Dolby settings on the tape they were made on.

Sometimes, I play with the A-grade studio ticks I know thus far, which add two main things: a dimension (a "length") to parts of the sound, which has as effect that the "shears" along walls and so on are well behaved (as compared to say a Zoom H3 recording of the news-reader), and the second thing is a by-product of a FFT-equalization, applied in dynamic sense which adds Loudness insensitivity to the material, making a track work better at lower and higher volumes.

If a track or mix is good (again..) I find it fun to play with pro studio effects (of old) like Lexicon to see how well artificial reverberation or other methods to create a nice full sound with hold up when the track or mix is send through it, such as the ABBA example. So then of course on a system which doesn't choke on the first warmth, and doesn't kill all spatial information into dog food, it is fun game to listen to, and a good (and difficult) signal test. By product of the Lexicon effect unit responding well to a production is that usually it will as a consequence also work good on a live amplification system (a decent PA I mean not some piece of plastic on a wobbly pole).

T.