> Choosing the right filter kinds, controlling phase issues and loudness
> (short an long term, for when the materials are played on a potent stereo
> system) control, and preserving the intended feel of the recording are also
> important, and is where A grade recordings/records can teach us a lot. I am
> also a fan of being as neutral as possible, as in the more High Fidelity,
> the nicer, and I go pretty far with that, also spec-wise. Natural
> amplification with as little as possible distortion, sampling errors, and
> built-in limitations (like "tuned" 2-way systems, which often is produced
> form without people noticing) has the advantage to be able to listen to a
> track or mix "as it is".

I think our goals part ways here. When listening to audio books via my
laptop speaker I'm not at all interested in "neutrality" or fidelity. I
just want the "text" conveniently delivered to the language processing part
of my brain. Substrate independence if you will. My goal is to spend a
minimum amount of energy on concentrating to pick up what the narrator
says. I don't need dynamics. For instance, I prefer a compressed and
amplified version of whispered speech (I have done listening tests) to
barely audible but "neutrally" rendered speech.

cheers,