On 06/03/2014, Charles Z Henry <czhe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 1) Steep filter to isolate speech (100-4k?).
>>

> Not a great idea over all.  You might just mangle the audio a bit more.  It
> loses some temporal qualities when filtered too much.  Listening to speech
> relies a lot on temporal cues that you want to keep intact.

I think probably he meant a multiband processor, using crossover
filters to isolate and process the important region (100-4k), and then
combine that with the rest of the (unprocessed) spectrum. At least
that's how I imagined it. Losing the high frequency formants above 4k
would decrease intelligibility a lot.

- Peter