On 2014-05-08, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

there was a way that you could do "subtractive dither" in that the dither that you added before quantizing to a short word could be subtracted (to regain 4.77 dB) [...]

I have some code for just that, even, and even better ideas. Maybe I even mentioned them somewhere a while back? If not, will fully share given interest. (The code is rather shitty, and even the ideas would benefit from development. But still better than you see implemented anywhere.)

Yet why-oh-why doesn't anybody just pop up their Audacity and a few megabytes of randomness, the way I originally asked? Because the stuff I'm talking about really is kind of interesting and unexpected, once you try it out on your own ears...

when you loop the noise, is it a "butt-splice"?  (i.e. no crossfade.)

Yes. Otherwise the splice might introduce an interpolation artifact which would invalidate the experiment from the start.

it's news to me that human hearing is LTI.

Yes, well, it ain't. But even conventional psychophysical theory treats it as such. For example, why would we hear frequencies unless the ear was LTI? Fourier analysis, that is sinusoids as something special, doesn't make much sense unless you assume... Well, you know, at least something having to do with linearity and shift-variance... ;)
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2