>the human hearing system is kind of an LTI... only at very low level
>processing. The consistency of measured signal (= perceiving the same
>signal the same way at all time as somebody wrote here) is present in
>the ear canal up to brainstem -> inferior colliculus.

My understanding is that there are measurable nonlinear effects even in the
cochlea. Apparently when a loud frequency is present that excites one
region of the membrane, the surrounding fibers react to dampen nearby sound
and reinforce the purity of the dominant frequency. The pithy way of
phrasing this is "the frequency response of the ear of a dead cat is
different from that of a live cat." Not sure if anybody actually did that
exact experiment to verify that...

Of course, that doesn't invalidate the "same sound sounds the same later"
property, but if you ask me that's a much much broader thing than LTI. For
example, any static nonlinearity - no matter how extreme and nonlinear -
will always produce the same output given the same input. That doesn't mean
it's linear, it just means it's time-invariant.