>Here's a double-blind A/B/X test that indicated no
>one could hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit.
>24-bit is better than 16-bit with dithering so maybe
>you can extrapolate.

I'd strongly prefer a direct test. For one thing, it's not clear to me
whether it is possible to extrapolate any conclusions about dither from
those results, for the simple reason that they do not specify whether the
16 bit D/A they used employed dither or not.

Which isn't to say that I disagree with the paper's conclusions about the
appropriateness of 16 bit for consumer distribution. But it doesn't really
speak to the question of dither.

>Wait, are you saying that you would then introduce
>an even greater dithering noise, to mask possible
>dynamic range reduction in the playback chain?

No, I'm simply pointing out a use case where the noise floor of a 16 bit
recording ends up more audible. If you compress the dynamic range in the
playback chain, then spurs that were sitting at -90dB end up louder (for a
given peak volumes). At some point it becomes noticeable, and without
anybody's ears bleeding.

Let me emphasize that I agree with the general consensus that dither for 16
bit is worthwhile, but not necessarily noticeable on most recordings or
playback systems. It's kind of the boundary of where dither is still
generally indicated, at higher resolutions it becomes silly.