Hi RBJ,

Well, the point of dither is to reduce correlation between the signal and
quantization noise.  Its effectiveness requires that the error signal has given
properties; the mean error should be zero and the RMS error should be
independent of the signal.  The best known examples satisfying those conditions
are white Gaussian noise at ~ 6dB above the RMS quantization level and white
TPDF noise  at ~3dB above the same, with Gaussian noise eliminating correlation
entirely and TPDF dither eliminating correlation with the first two moments of
the error distribution.   That's all textbook stuff.  There are certainly noise
shaping algorithms that shape either the sum of white dither and quantization
noise or the white dither and quantization noise independently, and even (to my
knowledge) a few completely non-white dithers that are known to work, but
determining the effectiveness of noise at dithering still requires examining
the statistical properties of the error signal and showing th
 at the mean is 0 and the second moment is signal independent.  (I think
Stanley Lipschitz showed that the higher moments don't matter to audibility.)

Probably there are papers around looking at analog noise in typical music
signals and how well it works as self dither (because self dither is assumed in
some A/D conversion) but I don't know them and would be very happy to see them.
 The one case I know involving some degree of modeling was a tutorial on dither
given last year in Berlin that advised against depending on self dither in
signal processing unless the noise source was checked out thoroughly before
hand.  Variability of amplitude, PDF and time coherence were discussed if I
recall.

Best,
Vicki