>Beyond that, Nigel raises this issue in the context of "self-dither”...

First, remember that I’m the guy who recommended “always” dithering 16-bit (no
“always” as in “alway necessary”, but as in “do it always, unless you know that
it gives no improvement”), and to not bother dithering 24-bit. So, I’m only
interested in this discussion for 24-bit. That said:

>...In situations where there is a clear external noise source present, whether
>the situation is analog to digital conversion or digital to digital bit depth
>change, the external noise may, or may not, be satisfactory as dither but at
>least it's properties can be measured.

For 24-bit audio, could you give an example of when it’s likely to not be
satisfactory (maybe you’ve already given a reference to determining
“satisfactory")? Offhand, I’d say one case might be with extremely low noise,
then digitally faded such that you fade the noise level below the dithering
threshold while you still have enough signal to exhibit truncation distortion,
and the fade characteristics allow it to last long enough to matter to your
ears—if we weren’t talking about this distortion being down near -140 dB in the
first place. I’d think that, typically, you’d have gaussian noise at a much
higher level that is needed to dither 24-bit; that could change with digital
processing, but I think that in the usual recording chain, it seems pretty hard
to avoid for your "analog to digital conversion” case.

I’m still interested in what you have to say about my post yesterday (“...if
the error doesn’t sound wrong to the ear, can it still sound wrong added to the
music?”). Care to comment?