On 05/04/2015, Alan Wolfe <alan.wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering, does anyone know of any practical or interesting uses
> cases of Fourier synthesis for audio?

You can use it for additive synthesis and spectral oscillators.

> I can already make bandlimited square, saw and triangle waves but was
> hoping for something like guitar strings or voice, or something along
> those lines.

You can create vocoder type sounds using Fourier synthesis (assuming
that's what you meant by 'voice').

For guitar strings - I wouldn't use that approach (though you might
come up with some convoluted time-varying formula that sounds simlar
to some plucked string, but that's not typically how plucked sounds
are created).

> Someone shared photosounder with me, which treats pictures as a
> spectrogram and lets you hear the images.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8MCAXhEsy4
>
> That's pretty interesting, but anyone else know of any other practical
> or interesting audio use cases?

Spectral morphing?