On 10-Jun-15 21:26, Ethan Duni wrote:
With bilateral Laplace transform it's also complicated, because the
damping doesn't work there, except possibly at one specific damping
setting (for an exponent, where for polynomials it doesn't work at
all), yielding a DC

Why isn't that sufficient? Do you need a bigger region of convergence for
something? Note that the region of convergence for a DC signal is also
limited to the real line/unit circle (for Laplace/Z respectively). I'm
unclear on exactly what you're trying to do with these quantities.

I'm interested in the bandlimitedness of the signal. I'm not aware of how I can judge the bandlimitedness, if I don't know Laplace transform on the imaginary axis.

I'm not fully sure, how to analytically extend this result to the entire
complex plane and whether this will make sense in regards to the
bandlimiting question.

I'm not sure why you want to do that extension? But, again, note that you
have the same issue extending the transform of a regular DC signal to the
entire complex plane - maybe it would be enlightening to walk through what
you do in that case?

See above and below ;)

Alright, I'll try to reiterate my previous year's ideas in here.

I'm interested in a firm (well, reasonably firm, whatever that means) foundation of the BLEP approach. Intuitive description of the BLEP approach is: the discontinuities of the signal and its derivatives are the only source of nonbandlimitedness, so if we replace these discontinuities with their bandlimited versions, we effectively bandlimit the signal.

Now, how far can this statement be taken? This depends on the following two issues:

- Which infinitely differentiable signals are bandlimited and which aren't. Here come the polynomials and the exponentials, among other practically interesting signals. One could be tempted to intuitively think that polynomials, being integrals of a bandlimited DC are also bandlimited and, taking the limit, so should be infinite polynomials, particularly Taylor series, so any signal representable by its Taylor series (particularly, any analytic signal) should be bandlimited. However, this clearly contradicts the knowledge that FM'd sine is not bandlimited. This leads to the second question:

- Given a point where a signal and its derivatives are discontinuous, will the sum of the respective BLEPs converge?

In regards to the first question, we can notice any bandlimited (in the Fourier transform sense) signal is necessarily entire in the complex plane (if I'm not mistaken, this can be derived from the Laplace transform properties). Also, pretty much any practically interesting infinitely differentiable signal is also entire. So we can replace the infinite real differentiability requirement here with a stronger requirement of the signal being entire in the complex domain.

However, we also need to extend the definition of bandlimitedness. Since polynomials and exponentials have no Fourier transform (let's believe so, until Sampo Syreeni or someone else gives further clarifications otherwise), we can't say whether they are bandlimited or not. More precisely, the samping theorem cannot give any answer for these signals. But "any answer" to what exactly?

The real question (why we are talking about bandlimitedness and the sampling theorem in the first place) is not the bandlimitedness itself. Rather we want to know, what is going to be the result of a restoration of the discrete-time signal by the DAC. So the extended (more practical) definition of the bandlimitedness should be something like follows:

Suppose we are given a continuous-time signal, which is then naively sampled and further restored by a high-quality DAC. If the restored signal is "reasonably identical" to the original signal, the signal is called "bandlimited".

It is probably reasonable to simplify the above, and replace the "high quality DAC" with a sequence of windowed sinc restoration filters, where the window length is approaching infinity.

"Reasonably identical" means the following:
- the higher the quality of the DAC, the closer is the signal to the original one - we probably can allow a discrepancy at the DC. At least this discrepancy seems to appear in windowed sinc filters for polynomials.

Then, the BLEP approach applicability condition is the following. Given a bounded signal representable as a sum of an entire function and the derivative discontinuity functions, can we bandlimit it by simply bandlimiting the discontinuities? Apparently, we can do so if the entire function is bandlimited and the sum of the bandlimited derivatives converges. The conjecture is (please refer to my previuos year's posts) that the condition (at least a sufficient one) for the entire function being bandlimited and for the BLEP sum to converge is one and the same and has to do with the rolloff speed of the function's derivatives as the derivative order increases.

--
Vadim Zavalishin
Reaktor Application Architect | R&D

www.native-instruments.com