On 21/08/2015, Ethan Duni <ethan.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Creating a 22000 Hz signal from a 250 Hz signal by interpolation, is
>>*exactly* upsampling
>
> That is not what is shown in that graph. The graph simply shows the
> continuous-time frequency response of the interpolation polynomials,
> graphed up to 22kHz. No resampling is depicted, or the frequency responses
> would show the aliasing associated with that.

It shows *exactly* the aliasing....
http://morpheus.spectralhead.com/img/interpolation_aliasing.png

There are about 88 alias images visible on the graph.
The linear interpolation curve is not "smooth", so it contains aliasing.

> It's just showing the sinc^2
> response of the linear interpolator, and similar for the other polynomials.

If the signal you interpolate is white noise, and the spectrum of the
signal is a flat spectrum rectangle like the one displayed, then after
resampling, you get *exactly* the spectrum you see on the graph,
showing 88 alias images.

Proof:
I created 60 seconds of white noise sampled at 500 Hz, then resampled
it to 44.1 kHz using linear interpolation. After the upsampling, it
sounds like this:

http://morpheus.spectralhead.com/wav/noise_resampled.wav

Its spectrum looks like this:
http://morpheus.spectralhead.com/img/noise_resampled.png

Looks familiar? Oh, it's the *exact* same graph! (Minus some
difference above 20 kHz, due to my soundcard's anti-alias filter.) It
is an FFT graph of the upsampled white noise, and it shows *exactly*
the aliasing. Good morning!

> This is what you'd get if you used those interpolation polynomials to
> convert a 250Hz sampled signal into a continuous time signal, not a
> discrete time signal of whatever sampling rate.

Nope. You get the same graph if you sample that continuous time signal
at a 44.1 kHz sampling rate (with some further aliasing from the
sampling). Just as I've shown.

Besides, I think the graph was created via numerical means using FFT,
because it has noise at the low ampliutes (marked on the image).
Therefore, it doesn't show a continuous time sinc^2 graph, because
that wouldn't be noisy.

-P