(Hi Matt, we've met before at NI btw, briefly)

Thanks, I look these up, I think I browsed through some of this a few years ago, Rocchesso I think.

I already had a hammer model for the same thing, which is piano synthesis
and a soundboard model.

For the moment I am more interested in spectral flatness.
I would like to synthesize decaying white noise thats completely flat
Basically the ideal reverb response in a way.

I want to figure out what details make a piano sound sound like piano, and how to exaggerate or idealize these thats one reason why I replaced hammer model and soundboard model with white noise for now.

(It turns out that the fluctuations in the spectrum matter, but can also give an interesting touch
when the noise varies with time...)

Now I want to replace it with something really flat to figure out what
role some of the modes of different real soundboards have, if any, or if the impact sound is more important (if it is) and what makes that impact, perceptionally, in the case of the piano (where immediate collision sounds don't matter).

I also experimented with random phase noise of the soundbard spectrum vs the recorded impact It makes a difference but I am not sure what it is at the moment, perceptionally and phase wise. A minmum phase version of the same impact seems to sound worse to me for instance.
The reverberation seems quite important.

An other thing thats of importance seem to be the reflections between hammer
and where the string is fixed, but you dont need an impact model for this,
they can be modeled with a truncated comb filter response... thats already seperated out.

So my question for now is: how can we synthesize completely flat decaying noise?
(is it even possible?)