Maybe I miss the real question of the topic but I have played around with
creating a FIR filter:
1. generate white noise of a desired length
2. window it with an exponentially decaying envelope
3. apply some gain, e.g. 0.5
4. add a Dirac pulse at the first sample
The result is sprectrally not flat but
5. compute the excessphase of the sum = allpass = spectrally flat and use it

- Uli