Am 14.03.2018 um 12:00 schrieb robert bristow-johnson:

> Some years ago I tried to make a "stretched partials" sawtooth this way
> and found that the tables get prohibitively large

the *number* of wavetables gets large, right?  is that what you mean?

yes, bad wording

it doesn't have anything to do with the size of the wavetable.

with gigabytes of memory and 64-bit addressing space, i am not sure what is "prohibitive".  a regular sampled note can easily take up 1/2 meg.  how many 2048-point wavetables can you fit into that space? or in a meg?  or 4 meg?

true, but personally I am not a fan of synths that take up much memory and that was
one of the reasons it wasn't implemented in the final product

> which also makes their detuning relationships unnatural compared to
> for instance a piano tone.

more unnatural than flat?

Thats a matter of taste in the end, at least I was a little bit dissapointed with the results of my experiments