Below is my interpretation of the cool partial-shifting method Robert has
proposed.  (I'm just trying to understand, no claim to originality.)

As far as I understand it, the method obtains, from a harmonic waveform, a
family of new waveforms where the partials are selectively pitch-shifted,
but remain harmonic.  It doesn't smoothly vary the pitch thru inharmonic
frequencies.

*Basic sonic waveform* to be manipulated:  a finite, weighted,* harmonic*
sum of k sinusoids, which for simplicity I'll assume all cross 0 at time
0.  So, the 1-periodic waveform

F(t)  =  Sum over i = 1, ..., k:    a_i * sin( w_i  t)

where each w_i is a positive integer mult. of 2 pi.  (We'll see where this
gets used.)

*Desired:* a way to selectively shift some of the harmonics
of our waveform.  Let q_1, ..., q_k be "shift-susceptibility" parameters
for the k harmonics; each may be positive, negative, or zero, but they need
to be integer multiples of 2 * pi.

*2-D Wavetable:* store for "all"  pairs (t, y) in the unit square [0, 1]^2,
the
value

G(t, y) =   Sum over i = 1, ..., k:    a_i * sin( w_i * t + q_i * y )

Ignoring time- and value-quantization issues here, as well as
y-quantization.

(Observe that for fixed y-value, the waveform over t is just a selectively
phase-shifted version of F.)

*Parameter to choose:*  an *integer* value c giving overall pitch-shift
amount desired.

(One could have more tuning parameters at the cost of a higher-dimensional
table G.)

*Synthesis lookup rule:  *at time T > 0  (a real value) the digital
oscillator outputs the value

Val(T) = G(T mod 1,  (cT) mod 1)

which, we note, equals

=   Sum over i = 1, ..., k:    a_i * sin(w_i * (T mod 1)   +   q_i * (cT
mod 1))

=   Sum over i = 1, ..., k:    a_i * sin((w_i + c * q_i) * T)

---the last equality using the fact that w_i and c*q_i are both integer
mults of 2 *pi.

...so that, under this setting to c, the i'th partial has been
frequency-shifted by an amount c*q_i from its original frequency, w_i.