Good idea with the random phase

We did pseudo PWM with two identical arbitrary waves, one inverted, but not what you describe with random phase

Am 14.03.2018 um 13:06 schrieb Frank Sheeran:
> Another disadvantage was that you get a noticable chirp transient when
> the phases realign after one complete cycle of the wavetable.

Just put them in the buffer with random phases and they'll never re-align.  That's not what a piano does of course, but might be servicable.

BTW, my synth does PW/PWM with two out-of-phase sawtooths, one negative.  When I make the harmonics of one of the sawtooths random, you get something that sounds like PWM except it never comes to a "peak", it just grinds away.

I haven't heard that on any other synth but would love to know if anyone knows prior art.