2006/4/5, Nathan Noble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> This would imply creating perhaps hundreds of sparsely
> populated db columns, or a more sophisticated schema
> with dynamic attributes.  Performance has to be
> considered.
Not stored in specific columns. The AR system gives an example of an
alternative system for storing information which is not always
present. Another solution could be to create a table for the specific
classical attributes. This table would be populated only when at least
one of the specific attributes is input

> Also, is MB really supposed to be a music
> encyclopedia?  If it were like one, how many people
> would use this info?  I don't know the answer to that,
> but it's not what drew me here.

The possibility for me to input it and to use it would definitely be
for me a reason to stay with MB.

> Last, if Grove or wiki or some other source has most
> of this information, why not just add a link?  Or two
> or three?  If nothing else, it's infinitely simpler.

There is a huge difference between something like wikipedia and MB: MB
is a database. I don't see how you can ask Wikipedia the list of
composers that were alive at a certain date. The data may be there but
the wikipedia structure doesn't allow to retrieve it automatically.
Now MB could do this kind of search quite easily. Actually, I believe
it is already able to do so: the birth and death dates of artists are
already stored in the database, and with a simple sql request the
answer to the above question could be recovered.

--
Frederic Da Vitoria