On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:24:11 +0200, Schika wrote:

If I'm wrong, can we try to make a clear statement regarding "what is
the 'release country' field for?"

yes please.

OK, here is a clear statement:

From the Days of Tarragon up to now a release area did always mean the _market_ on which that specific release was available for sale on the release date. This marked is assumed to be a coutry in most cases.

The country of the label and the production site _may_ be related to this, but that is not the point.

The last time we settled this was in the release area vs. release country and "do we add the EU?" debate. We realised that we have a problem, since distributors define their markets less and less along national boundaries, but have decided to stick to these with a few exceptions.

If I got this wrong then may one of the old-timers here speak up.

  DonRedman

--
Words that are written in CamelCase refer to WikiPages:
Visit http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ the best MusicBrainz documentation around! :-)