On 3/10/07, Lukáš Lalinský <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sorry for replying to this old thread, but needed a Purevolume AR type
just now...

On Št, 2006-10-12 at 15:22 -0400, Alexander Dupuy wrote:
[...]
> What about the missing indie911 URL relationship?  And the ones for
> "mp3.com or The Podsafe Music Network or garageband.com" (to quote your
> message of two months ago)?  We can't create a special Artist->URL AR
> for every music-related site that's out there.  MySpace was an
> exception, and I still think, a mistake, but at least it is far beyond
> any of the others.  Can you come up with a generalized form for this
> that covers all of these sites.  I tried to come up with something that
> would generalize from MySpace to cover LiveJournal and other artist
> sites, but it was too contentious to achieve consensus at that time.
> Perhaps generalizing in a different, more music-related way, would be
> successful.

We already have an AR type for MySpace and the main argument for it was
that it's big enough. I think Purevolume is big enough as well *and*
it's specialized to music. So, I'm proposing these changes:

 * Add new AR type "has a community page at".
 * Move the MySpace AR type under this new one.
 * Add new AR type "has a Purevolume page at".

Comments?

I think, obviously, MySpace is big enough to warrant it's own AR.  If
I started a band the first thing I would do (possibly before we
developed our own homepage) would be to setup a MySpace page where
people could easily listen to our material.  I would probably go
around to other community sites doing the same, but MySpace would be
the most important (since so many people use it).

I don't use MySpace except for listening to artist's music quickly, or
showing friends what a group sounds like.  PureVolume is okay for this
too, but I think MySpace's "selection" of artists is much larger than
PureVolume.

I do think PureVolume should have it's won AR type - but can this be
retroactively applied to all the "http://*purevolume.com/*"; URLs we
already have in the DB?  I know I've been entering them as "X has
music which can be downloaded for free at Y".

--
-Aaron