Hello,

I'm skipping most of the current discussion because it doesn't
seem particularly relevant to my original RFC :)

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 02:54:03PM -0500, Alex Mauer wrote:
> > Then again, it could be a reason not to have entries like
> > these in MB at all.
>
> I think this idea that only releases from CD are allowed into MB would
> be a very controversial one.

Usually there is atleast some effort involved in compiling a useful game
rip, they will often show up as a 'release' on the p2p networks.  I
think we generally allow those in the DB, as bootleg.

(a recent example:
 http://musicbrainz.org/release/d211330d-2420-4644-b67c-f12e991263e4.html).

I'm quite ok with calling such releases soundtracks, that's not what the
RFC is about.

The RFC is specifically about cdrom games which happen to have 1 or more
tracks as cd audio.  They currently get marked as soundtrack, which to
me is confusing, because:

    - it's not the intent of the media
    - they usually don't contain all in-game music, in some cases they
      contain only stuff which isn't in the game at all.

Any other kind of game rip is not relevant to this RFC, because they're
not included in the description at http://musicbrainz.org/doc/ReleaseType .

Perhaps game rips do need a style guideline eventually, but it's not that
much of an issue right now because in general we don't allow them on MB
unless it is a release.

--kuno.