On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Chris B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 26/02/2008, Philipp Wolfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >  The Sentenced album "North From Here"
>  >  (http://musicbrainz.org/release/d1295a51-2438-4bcb-a9a7-6eff85f243c6.html)
>  >  was just re-issued as a two CD set, the first dics containing the
>  >  original release
>  >  (http://musicbrainz.org/release/7100376c-9737-4d91-b0f3-4745e3853085.html)
>  >  and a second disc with a re-issued demo and EP. I thought about adding
>  >  another release event to the existing release for disc 1 but decided
>  >  to duplicate the first disc instead.
>
>  shouldn't the second disc be a (bonus disc) as per
>  http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/BonusDisc
>
>  assume it should be, you wouldn't need (disc 1)

Absolutely right, I forgot about that.

>  >  * The new release has additional liner notes and I wanted to add liner
>  >  notes ARs. Those would of course not be true for the original release.
>
>  assuming the (bonus disc) is accurate, this is the strongest reason
>  for keeping them separate IMO, but i don't think our current concept
>  of a releases would allow for it, seeing as we merge everything else.
>  you'd have to annotate to say "this release does NOT contain the liner
>  note credits @ xxxxxx" or something, else people will just think it's
>  mergeable.

Yes, that's the strongest reason. The annotation solution can be
rather ugly, especially if an album gets re-issued more then once. But
at least it would avoid duplicates. Per-release event ARs are a bad
idea, too complicated to maintain and create. Duplicates are once
again difficult to maintain but solve the AR problem cleanly. And we
have the "earliest release" and "remaster" ARs to create proper
relationships between the duplicates. I think this can be worth the
additional effort.

>  >  * The Amazon ASINs for both releases are different
>
>  can add multiple ASINs to one release. perhaps they should be
>  per-release event (as should discogs links) but i think this is
>  jumping the NGS gun a bit.
As with the cover art problem this one is not so important, but
otherwise similar to the general problem, with different ARs.

>  the artwork argument IMO isn't so important because amazon don't get
>  the art right for single ASINs all the time :/
No, it isn't. But I wanted to show that there may be several reasons
to have a duplicate, this is surely one of them. We ignore that reason
and that's good so (otherwiese the separate entries for releases would
explode).

--
Philipp Wolfer