On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Leiv Hellebo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Just trying to clean up some issues:
>
> Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Leiv Hellebo wrote:
> >     And: My two SMPs have together 103 + 101 = 204 tracks, so you
> probably
> >     want to start with searching for releases, not tracks :)
> >

> > Please don't use poor quality data as a proof!
>
> I don't, really: Even if they were all done to your content, I'd still
> advise you to search for releases, to relieve you of wading through
> dozens of pages to find all releases...
>
> Like Brant pointed out elsewhere, the cat.no. is useful to help get all
> translations. (For the SMP it is quite easy to search for "Matt" on
> Bach's ArtistPage, but this is not so for Zauberflöte and others. We'll
> have to wait for works here...)
>
> It is ironic to recall that adding the cat.no. to opera tracks was my
> suggestion
> (http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/OperaTrackStyle?action=recall&rev=1). When
> I see it used, I really regret it :( I said that at a time I believed in
> tagger scripts that could fix this according to user preferences.

Quite :-) Ugly, but efficient. But at that time, works were still in the far
future.

> >     If some label spent a fortune to have professional scholars and
> >     performers dig out and record unknown stuff from obscure composers,
> then
> >     most likely it would also result in online references that would be
> >     helpful.
> >

> >     My mail concerned Bach passions. It is not so common to mention the
> BWVs
> >     for them (and I know I have Händel oratorios which do not mention
> the
> >     HWVs - I recently checked some - yet this is *never* a problem).
> >

> > Well, you know that this is contrary to the CSG?
> >

> Leaving out the cat.no. for oratorios is not contrary to the CSG, as
> they're not part of work names.
>
> Isn't it also so that in older days, leaving out the workname was quite
> acceptable for large choral works and operas? Were this considered a
> capital offense back in 2004?

I did not mean that the catalogue was perfect (but I may not have been
perfectly clear on this). What I meant is that I consider the "work prefix"
which is required by CSG as a way to retrieve all the tracks from a specific
work. This functionality could also be used to make migrating to NGS easier.
MB is a database and as such should offer a means to do this. In the (near)
future, the works will be the perfect, rational, user-friendly way of doing
it. But back at that time, I considered partly CSG as a bad way to do this.
The catalogue being of course the shortest implementation, but Brian showed
that the catalogue was not always reliable.

> Ah, so it would apply only to the SMP? I hate exceptions.
>
> No, not only for the SMP. The problems with the information overload is
> especially salient for the SMP, so what I wanted to discuss for now was
> the passions.
>
> I do feel guilty for going against the official style guide. Please
> consider it a crime of conscience...

But isn't Chris right here, all this will soon become meaningless?

--
Frederic Da Vitoria