On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 4:42 AM, Fridtjof Busse <fbu...@gmx.de> wrote:
> * "Paul C. Bryan" <em...@pbryan.net>:
>> If there is only one track for the chapter, then it would be:
>>
>>   * Chapter 01: $name
>>   * Chapter 02: $name
>>
>> This was originally proposed by Keschte in AudioBookStyle, and was
>> intended to keep tracks sorted properly if the trackname was the only
>> cue. I happen to agree this is a worthy objective to maintain.
>
> It's not the job of musicbrainz to keep tracks sorted if the
> TRACKNUMBER got lost.
>
>>   * Chapter 01-01: $name    ; note the leading zero on the chapter
>> number
>>   * Chapter 01-02                ; not fond of repeating chapter names
>>   * Chapter 01-03
>>   * Chapter 02-01: $name
>
> I really dislike this. The second part of a chapter has no name, this
> makes no sense IMHO.
>
> Also, I'd prefer not to use the naming scheme in musicbrainz as an aid
> to keep your tracks sorted or work around "broken" audio players.
> What I mean by this is basically what the "(disc x)" header does. The
> program you're using can decide for itself if it wants to put this part
> in the title or simply strip it and use the number for DISCNUMBER (e.g.
> sound-juicer does this). If something similiar was used for
> audiobooks, you (resp. your tagging application) can decide what
> filename to use for the file on your PC. I hope you can understand my
> idea behind this.
> Something like "$chaptername (01/09)" or the like.

I don't like leading zeros either - the tracks will be sorted by TrackNumber.

I also don't like using "Chapter 1-2" to designate a sub-part of a
chapter.  For classical releases, we use "Chapter IIIa" for standard
sub-parts and "Chapter III-ii" for non-standard divisions (I believe
there was some support behind this although it was never made an
"official" part of the CSG).

I think it would be good to do the same for audiobooks.  If a chapter
has standard sub-chapters, then use "Chapter 3a: Subchapter Title" .
If a chapter is just arbitrarily split amongst several tracks, then
use "Chapter 3-iv" or even "Chapter 3, Part 4" from PartNumberStyle.

-cooperaa