2010/10/5 Jeroen Latour <t...@jeroen.la>

> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Per Øyvind Øygard <per...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:13:35 +0200, Jeroen Latour <t...@jeroen.la> wrote:
>>
>> > A while back, there was a RFC to add a Writer Relationship Type to
>> credit
>> > songwriters. That RFC was unfortunately abandoned, but I found it when I
>> > was
>> > wondering about what to do with 'Written By' credits on Discogs. In many
>> > cases, it's not clear whether that applies to music, or lyrics. Two
>> > people
>> > might be credited as writers, with one writing the music and the other
>> > the
>> > lyrics. The same problem occurs with interpreting 'Writer' credits on
>> > liner
>> > notes.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> You should probably add some examples to clarify though. I would also
>> point out that composer/lyricist should always be used when it can be
>> clearly inferred, as in the case of an instrumental track (clearly just
>> composer), or singer-songwriter with just one writer (clearly composer and
>> lyricist).
>>

> I have updated the proposal to include the feedback from Per and
> SwissChris. It now has an expanded style section, with a clear list of cases
> in which the Writer type should not be used, and an example of proper usage.
> I don't see any way to provide negative examples within the relationship
> template. If anyone feels specific negative examples are necessary, I would
> appreciate suggestions for how that should be incorporated into the page.
>
> The way I envision it, the existing composer and lyricist relationship
> types stay as they are. However, they should be moved to have 'Writer' as a
> parent, to make it clear that Writer is a generic form of the two.
>
> Personally, I don't think it's wise to convert the two into tickable
> modifiers, as jacobbrett proposed. With tickable modifiers, it is no longer
> possible to express that an artist wrote the music, and 'additionally' wrote
> the lyrics. jacobbret, please let me know if I misunderstood your
> suggestion.
>
> The updated proposal is available at:
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Proposal:Writer_Relationship_Type
> Nikki, the 3rd of October has passed, but I think this needs a little more
> time for people to review. Barring any major objections, I would propose:
> October 8.
>
> Regards,
> Jeroen

Quite unimportant, but I'd write "This relationship is used to link an
entity <http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/MusicBrainz_Entity> to the
artist<http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Artist>who wrote it" instead of
"This relationship is used to link an
entity <http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/MusicBrainz_Entity> to the
artist<http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Artist>who wrote the song" since
the AR may apply to a Release. Also, I don't think
this would apply to any entity, only to

   - pre-NGS: Release, Release Group, Track
   - post-NGS: Recording, Release, Release Group, Track, Work

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

http://www.april.org