On 8 October 2010 10:57, Jeroen Latour <t...@jeroen.la> wrote:
> Thanks Brian, I changed both lines.
> SwissChris, do you agree with Paul's comments about erring on the side of a
> more general AR? Would you still like to propose a different example?
> Are there any objections to moving this to RFV?

None from me.  I'd really like to see this go through.  There are a
lot of releases where the credit isn't specific, and I've had to abuse
'composed by' to represent these ARs in the past.  With this, they'll
be able to more closely match the release.  Discogs already had this
AR, so this is something that can then be mapped across.  We also
already have a very similar grouping to this in the performance/vocal
performance/instrument performance set.

While we can reword the guideline ad nauseum, there will be bad edits
regardless.    Already, there are still releases being created with
bad use of capitalisation, featured artists, etc. This is generally
done by new users who don't read lists like this or the guidelines.
It's not ideal, but I don't see a way of avoiding it.  The best thing
to do about is to keep an eye on releases and set people right when
they go wrong.

> Regards,
> Jeroen
>
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Brian Schweitzer
> <brian.brianschweit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I wonder about "It is well-known whether the artist was responsible for
>> the lyrics and/or the music."  Most ARs aren't 'well-known'.  I'd suggest
>> dropping "well-"; it's confusing, and I think unneeded - the only
>> requirement ought to be that the info is known at all, not how well known it
>> is.
>> Also, I question the need for "In case of writing collaborations (e.g.
>> 'Lennon/McCartney'), the track must be linked to each writer separately, not
>> to the collaboration artist."  This is true of ARs anyhow, and those
>> workaround collab artists such as you're describing will be going away with
>> NGS anyhow, so this text will become out of date.  I'd suggest simply
>> removing that sentence; you don't gain anything from it.
>> Brian
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Jeroen Latour <t...@jeroen.la> wrote:

>>> I have updated the proposal to include the feedback from Per and
>>> SwissChris. It now has an expanded style section, with a clear list of cases
>>> in which the Writer type should not be used, and an example of proper usage.
>>> I don't see any way to provide negative examples within the relationship
>>> template. If anyone feels specific negative examples are necessary, I would
>>> appreciate suggestions for how that should be incorporated into the page.
>>> The way I envision it, the existing composer and lyricist relationship
>>> types stay as they are. However, they should be moved to have 'Writer' as a
>>> parent, to make it clear that Writer is a generic form of the two.
>>> Personally, I don't think it's wise to convert the two into tickable
>>> modifiers, as jacobbrett proposed. With tickable modifiers, it is no longer
>>> possible to express that an artist wrote the music, and 'additionally' wrote
>>> the lyrics. jacobbret, please let me know if I misunderstood your
>>> suggestion.
>>> The updated proposal is available
>>> at: http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Proposal:Writer_Relationship_Type
>>> Nikki, the 3rd of October has passed, but I think this needs a little
>>> more time for people to review. Barring any major objections, I would
>>> propose: October 8.
>>> Regards,
>>> Jeroen

Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8