On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:53, Piotr Szotkowski <chast...@chastell.net> wrote:
> Yeah, me again. Still most grateful fot MusicBrainz. :)
>
> While I was on a recent Picard-powered metadata-cleanup spree on my
> music I noticed http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Miscellaneous saying
> that ‘typographically-correct punctuation is preferred’, so I started
> updating MB with my local fixes to punctuation (such as replacing
> U+0027 APOSTROPHE with U+2019 RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK).
>
> Is this welcome or just a noise to the MB database?
>
> If it’s welcome, how far should it be taken? Replacing U+0027
> with U+2019 (where appropriate) seems to fit the spirit of
> the guide, but what about replacing U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS with
> U+2010 HYPHEN, such as in renaming Ska-P to Ska‐P and New
> York Ska-Jazzi Ensemble to New York Ska‐Jazz Ensemble?

Personally, I don't think there's any utility in replacing characters
which could be done with a script. Only if there's some kind of
judgement call involved does it really make any sense. Cleaning up
only some releases will just leave things in a seemingly inconsistent
state, so I'd really prefer if any changes of this nature were made
database-wide if they're going to be made at all.

--
Philip Jägenstedt