Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <phi...@foolip.org> wrote:

>> Personally, I don't think there's any utility in replacing
>> characters which could be done with a script. Only if there's
>> some kind of judgement call involved does it really make any sense.

The problem with apostrophes is that it’s
not trivial to script the replacement:

song's title      →   song’s title
a 'quoted' text   →   a ‘quoted’ text
in the '90s       →   in the ’90s
rock 'n' roll     →   rock ’n’ roll

– there probably are most common patterns, though.

>> Cleaning up only some releases will just leave things in a seemingly
>> inconsistent state, so I'd really prefer if any changes of this
>> nature were made database-wide if they're going to be made at all.

I agree it would be best to do it with a bot (especially for
ellipses and hyphens, if it’s decided to be welcome to fix them).

What would be the right way to gauge whether this is welcome,
and if so, can I help in any way with such a fixing script
(I have programming and database experience)?

> I think the aposthrophe fix (and also fixing ellipses) are OK even
> without a script, although I'd love to have a ellipses-fixing bot.

+1.

> The hyphen thing is harder, because AFAIK there's no way
> to actually see the difference (at least in the standard
> font MB uses) so they're kinda hard to vote on anyway.

Yeah, I’m unsure about the hyphen as well (I wasn’t even aware U+002D
HYPHEN-MINUS is suboptimal until yesterday), although I’d welcome
replacing U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS with U+2013 EN DASH where appropriate.

Interestingly, ellipsis changes are auto‐edits,
while apostrophe and hyphen changes are not.

— Piotr Szotkowski
--
I long for the days when FB meant ‘framebuffer’.
                                        [rysiek]